PROVIDENCE, R.I. — An Ecuadorian national previously deported from the United States in 2008 has pleaded guilty in federal court in Rhode Island to a charge of illegal re-entry, Acting U.S. Attorney Sara Miron Bloom announced.
Manuel Yochuzga-Yopangue, also known as Manuel Yupangui, 34, was identified by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) after his fingerprints matched records in the National Crime Information Center. The match followed his May 2025 arrest in Rhode Island on accusations of child molestation charges.
Federal immigration records show that Yochuzga-Yopangue was removed from the United States in August 2008. He is scheduled to be sentenced on October 28, 2025. His sentence will be determined by a federal district judge based on the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.
The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Paul F. Daly, Jr. and was investigated by ICE.
This matter falls under Operation Take Back America, a nationwide Department of Justice initiative targeting illegal re-entry, transnational criminal organizations, and related offenses.
This comes after the Trump administration named Rhode Island, Providence, Central Falls, Massachusetts, and Bristol County among jurisdictions it says are not cooperating with federal immigration enforcement.
Officials said formal notices of non-compliance will be issued, demanding local policies align with federal standards. The move follows an executive order requiring Homeland Security and the Justice Department to publicly identify jurisdictions that limit cooperation with immigration authorities.
Local leaders in Rhode Island say their policies prioritize community safety and trust in policing. Providence and Central Falls, which have successfully challenged similar actions in court, are expected to continue resisting federal pressure.
Illegal re-entry after child molestation arrest
Leave a comment