Cranston senior center funding
Home News New Cranston budget proposal could restore senior center funding
NewsPolitics

New Cranston budget proposal could restore senior center funding

Share
Share

CRANSTON, R.I. — Cranston’s senior center could remain open after Mayor Ken Hopkins announced a new proposal aimed at restoring funding that had previously been cut from the city budget.

The possible closure of senior services became a major point of concern after Hopkins introduced a revised budget proposal earlier this year designed to reduce a proposed tax increase and address a multimillion-dollar deficit.

Hopkins originally submitted a $352 million budget that included a 7.4% increase to the city’s tax levy in an effort to close a budget gap exceeding $10 million. However, the proposal was rejected by the City Council.

The mayor later submitted a revised $347 million budget that reduced the proposed tax increase to comply with the state’s annual 4% cap. To achieve that lower increase, several spending reductions were included, among them the elimination of senior services funding.

Now, Hopkins says the city has identified another option.

According to the mayor, Cranston qualifies for a state law provision involving non-residential tax revenue losses, allowing the city to increase its tax levy by up to 4.65% without requiring approval from the General Assembly.

Hopkins is proposing the city use approximately $1.2 million in additional funding generated through that adjustment to restore the senior center budget.

The mayor said keeping the senior center open remained a priority because of the role it plays in serving older residents throughout the community.

The center provides programs, wellness activities, meals, and social opportunities for Cranston seniors.

The proposal now moves to the City Council, which will make the final decision on whether to approve the revised funding plan.

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Explore more

Yawgoo Valley water park closed
News

Yawgoo Valley water park closed permanently

EXETER, R.I. — Yawgoo Valley announced that its longtime water park will not reopen, marking the end of one of Rhode Island’s few...

Related Articles
2026 relay for life east providence
EventsNews

The 2026 Relay For Life of Greater Providence returns to East Providence on May 30

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. — The American Cancer Society is preparing to bring...

NewsPolitics

Rhode Island warming and cooling center bill passes in Senate

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A bill introduced by Senator Tiara Mack would require...

NewsPolitics

Proposed toll transponder bill protects drivers from unfair penalties

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A new bill introduced by Sen. Dawn Euer aims...

NewsPolitics

Judge blocks DOJ subpoena for Rhode Island gender-affirming care records

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A federal judge has blocked the U.S. Department of...